CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Thanks to Gordon B. Hinckley

I can’t let any more time go by without honoring my beloved Gordon B. Hinckley. He has made an irreversible impact on my life. When I was in the MTC I had a very difficult time learning the Italian language. I became extremely depressed and wanted to come home. I will never forget one Sunday someone gave a talk and told a story about an Elder Hinckley and how he was also discouraged on his mission and wanted to come home. His dad wrote him a letter and said, “Gordon, I received your letter today, I have just one thing to say, forget yourself and get to work!” He said that he received courage from this letter and decided to stay. He had a successful mission and never regretted staying. He said that everything good that happened in his life, he could point to that decision of staying in the field. I will never forget as I sat there thinking, this is me. If he can do it so can I. I stayed, and everything that is good in my life, I can point to that decision and know it was the right one. I just can’t imagine who or what I would be if I hadn’t served a mission. I met my husband, the love of my life there. If I hadn’t have married him, would I have had the children I had? Would I be living in AZ? I know I wouldn’t have been so active in doing missionary work which I love with all my heart. I wouldn’t have had the knowledge and experience to teach seminary, which I LOVE TO TEACH!
I owe Pres. Hinckley so much. Who would I be if I would have come home? Not the same Sister Cook I am today. Thanks Pres. Hinckley, I am so happy you are with your wife again. You have been such an example of enduring to the end. You have shown me how to work hard.
I love you. Sister Rhonda Cook

0 comments: