CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, December 4, 2008

Dan the MTC man.


Beautiful fall day in Provo Utah.

Missionary mom, Elder Cook, and Stephanie.



New Missioanries, That's ME!!!!


The day we put Danny in the MTC we got up and I taught him how to sew on a button. He later told me he sewed on several buttons for himself and others in the MTC and got a reputation for sewing. I told him my goodbyes that morning because I knew it would be too hard in the MTC for both of us in such a public place. I told him he came from a long legacy of missionaries and that he had been placed with all those missionaries before him for a reason. He had a lot of big shoes to fill and he was totally up to the task. We had prayer and scripture study. I read the last of Alma’s words to his son’s and replaced mine and his names. We went to breakfast at Magleby’s Fresh and had their famous French toast. Steph met us there. Danny finely turned over his phone. He was calling and texting his friends like it was his last time……….cuz it was. I have this vivid memory of going to the car, the radio was playing Via La Vida by Cold Play. He loves that song and thinks it is all about him. I remember him smiling so big and singing, “Missionaries in a foreign field!” We entered the MTC Wed. morning Oct. 29th at 11:00. It was a beautiful day in Provo Utah. About 70 degrees, clear blue skies and the leaves were turning, something we don't see in AZ. We both knew it was going to be hard but their is something really special about putting your son in the MTC that can't be described in words. You are sad yet happy. It is a testimony that the church is true, other wise, our youth wouldn't go and we wouldn't be happy to see them go. I kept thinking of my MTC experience and knew what he was in for so that made it a lot easier for me. Before we knew it, the time had come. He said goodbye to Steph. They have become so close. Then it was my turn. We separated and went to our designated doors. Just before he went through the door we yelled, “Danny!” He tuned with tear filled eyes and waved goodbye. The next two days were hard for me. I was happy for him but two years is so long. But since that day, I really haven’t had a hard time. It’s OK. In Danny’s setting apart, Pres. Coons said, “I bless you that your goodbyes will be sweet.” It really was sweet but for two days it was hard. But I can honestly say, I haven’t had a hard day since. So I guess that is pretty sweet! I am so excited for him. He is doing so well and is so happy, how could I be sad. It’s all good. I love being a missionary mom!

5 comments:

tiffany knox said...

that is so special. I just can't believe that he is old enough to be on a mission. when I see missionaries I realize how much older I am now. In a few months I will have four kids! thanks for the christmas card. we will keep danny in our prayers. rhonda, you look gorgeous in that baby blue!

Rhonda Cook said...

Hey Tiff, so good to hear from you. This cyber stuff is so cool. What a great way to keep in touch. I can't believe you have 4 kids!!! That is crazy!!!! Come see us the next time you are in town. Bear is coming for Christmas if you can come them. Have a good one. Rhonda

Michael and Lisa Sumner said...

What a sweet and special day for all of you. Danny will be a spectacular missionary. Well done, Rhonda and Keven!

Summertime Designs said...

Rhonda, you are such an amazing mom. You have raised such wonderful and compassionate children...and every one of them are missionary minded just like you and Keven. I still remember when Danny was just a baby. I can't believe he's on a mission now! What a wonderful blessing from President Coons. I am so grateful that it has not been too hard on you and that you are so excited for him. Just think...your last missionary to send off! Way to go!

Tiscia said...

Love all the updates! It's great to hear about everyone!